Lil’Bot, the little robot that could
A low-cost, open-source, Arduino-compatible balancing robot for learning, hacking and delight
Lil’Bot is programmed just like an Arduino Uno, and takes standard Arduino shields. About half of the Arduino memory and three quarters of the processing power are available after the balancing code and all the rest have taken their share.
- Arduino Uno compatible, programmable through the USB
- Can be programmed using Linux, OS X, and Windows computers.
- Front, right and left obstacle detection using IR LEDs
- Edge detection using an IR LED
- A buzzer plays musical tones and astromech droid sounds.
- Wheel encoders for precise odometry-based control
- Open-source hardware and software
Powering the robot
The robot takes 7 AA alkaline batteries. Its power-usage profile is also a very good fit for NiMH rechargeable batteries.